spontaneous combustion caused by excessive moisture. In an email sent to the Express late Friday afternoon, Winters Fire Chief Brad Lopez said these types of fires can occur naturally when excessive moisture from within a stack creates heat that triggers a fire and works its way outward. Firefighters from Winters were dispatched around 7 a.m. Wednesday to a report of smoke at the Hay Kingdom along County Road 90. When firefighters arrived, they found one mound of hay on fire, Chief Lopez told the Express in an email that day. The fire was contained around 10 a.m., but strong winds spurred by an afternoon storm caused the blaze to spread to at least two other mounds of hay, Winters Fire Capt. Art Mendoza said. [gallery jnewsslider="true" jnewsslider_zoom="true" ids="771330,771331,771333,771332,771329,771327"] The blaze grew to two alarms, bringing in crews from throughout Yolo and Solano counties. Firefighters from Vacaville, Dixon, Davis, Woodland and Cal Fire were among those sent to battle the blaze. Most of the mutual aid crews were relieved around 12:30 a.m. Thursday as firefighters from Winters and Vacaville worked to maintain a containment line. The crew worked overnight until around 2:30 a.m. when all fire personnel were released and control of the fire was turned over to Hay Kingdom employees, fire officials said. The fire is expected to burn for the next several days, Chief Lopez said. https://www.facebook.com/WintersExpress/videos/388314022004690/ The Hay Kingdom has been the epicenter of several large fires in the past, including one in 2013 that destroyed four barns. Estimates from that fire placed the damage at around $5 million, according to Sacramento TV station KCRA. Another early morning fire broke out at the same location in January 2017. Fire investigators determined spontaneous combustion triggered that blaze.]]>
Spontaneous combustion likely to blame for Hay Kingdom fire in Winters, official says
Fire crews worked overnight to maintain a containment line after several mounds of hay burst into flames at a business in Winters on Wednesday.