Ring in the New Year with the following special programs held during the month of January at Yolo County’s Winters Community Library, located at 708 Railroad Ave. in Winters:
- Celebrate Lunar New Year!: Sweep away any ill-fortune from the past year and make way for incoming good luck. Check out our book display and bibliography.
- Tuesday, Jan. 8: Upcycle Your 2018 Calendars, 6:00 p.m. Learn how to transform your old calendars into beautiful gift bags, envelopes, and more! Participants are welcome to bring their own calendars but it is not required. Calendars and other supplies will be provided.
- January 8: Free Computer Class, 10:30 a.m. Basic computer class covering simple tech support, beginner terminology, library computer resources and a Q & A session. Registration is required and will be limited to the first ten signups. To register, call (530) 787-3426 or sign up at the library service desk. This class will be offered on the second Tuesday of each month.
- January 10: Evening Family Movie, 6:00 p.m. Join R.I.S.E. After School Program and the Esparto Regional Library for a family friendly (rated G or PG) movie. For movie title call the library at (530) 787-3426.
- January 12: Fruit Tree Pruning, 10:15 a.m. Learn how to prune your fruit trees. Presented by the University of California Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners of Yolo County.
- January 15: NEW! ESL Class for Beginners, 9:00 a.m. Join us in the Wintun Community Room for beginner ESL classes courtesy of Woodland Community College. Classes meet every Tuesday and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. starting January 15 through May 14. This is a non-credit class with open enrollment. Cost is $10 for the semester. For information call Jessica Aggrey at 530-668-3682. Se habla Español.
- January 15: Northern California Bats: Bats Eat Bugs, 3:30 p.m. Join Corky Quirk for a family learning experience all about bats in our area. Live bats!
- January 22: Appendage Art, 3:30 p.m. Invent unique plants, animals and scenes using fingerprints, thumbprints and hand and foot outlines. Decorate with doodles, dots, feathers and wiggly eyes. Fun art program for everyone.
The following ongoing programs will continue at the Winters Community Library in January:
- Winters Casual Cribbage Club: 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m. in the Margaret Parson’s Room or the Quiet Reading Corner.
- SUCCESS: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m.
- Needle Arts: 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month at 4 p.m.
- Libros y Chisme: 2nd Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m.
- Family Story Time: Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m.
- Cursos de Ingles: Jueves a las 6 p.m.
- Literary Trails: Wednesdays at 2 p.m.
- Hora de Cuentas/Bi-lingual Story Time: Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
- Aguas Frescas: Last Thursday of the month at 6 p.m.
- Lego Block Party: 2nd Saturday of the month at 2 p.m.
- Family Movie: Last Saturday of the month at 2 p.m.
- Tales for Tails: Children ages 4-12 are invited to read to a therapy dog. Tuesdays at 3:30 p.m.
The following ongoing programs will continue at the Esparto Regional Library in January:
- English Conversation Group, Tuesdays at 1:15 p.m. Converse and improve your English in a fun and relaxed setting with the aid of a group facilitator. Drop-in visitors are always welcome.
- R.I.S.E. Student Success Program, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Elementary school students have the opportunity to get homework support from high school students and participate in games and activities. Call the library (530) 787-3426 with any questions.
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Spanish Story Time (Ages 0-5), Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Children (ages 0-5) and their parents or caregivers are invited to join us for stories, songs, movement, rhymes and finger-plays. All bilingual story times are provided through a grant from First 5 Yolo.
NOTICES: Yolo County Library branches will be closed on Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019 for New Year’s Day and on Monday, Jan. 21 in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. On Monday, Jan. 28 all branches will be open from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
The Winters Community Library will be on the School Break schedule through Saturday, Jan. 5 with the following hours:
- Monday and Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday: Closed.
Extended Hours resume Monday, Jan. 7, 2019 as follows:
- Monday and Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday: Closed
End of Overdue Fines for Youth: We are celebrating the New Year with the elimination of overdue fines for youth! Effective Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019 the Yolo County Library will eliminate overdue fines on materials borrowed by youth under 18-years old and, on a one-time basis, waive all outstanding fines and fees on youth accounts.
Yolo Reads: This Yolo County Library program provides free tutoring to adults who want to improve their reading, writing, spelling and grammar skills. Yolo Reads supports literacy in Yolo County communities by providing free instruction to English speaking adult learners. Learners receive one-on-one support from volunteer tutors, free materials, free computer use and access to the Yolo County Library collections.
For those interested in tutoring, no experience is necessary, the hours are flexible and Yolo Reads provides all necessary training and materials. Our next orientation will be held at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, Tuesday, Jan. 29 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Contact us at 530-666-8019 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Except where noted, all programs are sponsored by the Winters Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and no registration is required. For more information, contact library staff at 530-795-4955, visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Winters Community Library-specific events) or connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.]]>