Winters FD extinguishes mobile home fire

blank
Winters Fire Department crews were able to extinguish a blaze that destroyed a mobile home before it spread to nearby neighbors on Sunday, Nov. 13. (Crystal Apilado/Winters Express)

Support Local Journalism

LOGIN
REGISTER

The cause behind a two-alarm fire that damaged a single mobile home on Sunday evening is still under investigation.

Interim Fire Chief Matthew Schechla said the Winters Fire Department was alerted to a structure fire at the Winters Mobile Park on Sunday, Nov. 14 at 8:42 p.m.

Upon arrival, Winters FD crews found a single, wide mobile home with smoke showing from the exterior. The incident was elevated to a two-alarm fire due to the proximity of other homes, Fire Captain Art Mendoza told the Express at the scene on Sunday evening. According to Mendoza, they wanted to have additional crews on hand if the fire spread. However, the fire was contained quickly.

“Crews made an aggressive attack and had the fire contained in about 15 minutes,” Schechla said.

Significant damage 

was made throughout the home, however, there were no other damaged homes as firefighters prevented the blaze from spreading to neighboring units.

Schechla said the homeowner was altered by a smoke detector, which prompted her to call 911 and exit her home. Winters FD is still investigating the cause. No injuries have been reported. Red Cross is providing assistance to the homeowner.

“We want to remind people to check batteries in smoke detectors,” Schechla said. “The (batteries) should be changed when we change clocks (for daylight savings).

Winters FD received assistance from the West Plainfield, UC Davis Fire Departments and Yolo Fire Protection District. Winters Police Department officers were also on the scene.

Sunday’s fire was the second local structure fire to which Winters FD has been called in the last three weeks.

Winters FD extinguished a two-alarm fire in the early morning hours on Wednesday, Oct. 26. The blaze caused significant damage to three apartment units and minimal damage to one. No injuries were reported in that incident as well, and Schechla credited working smoke detectors with first alerting residents to the fire. The cause of the fire was still under investigation.

Cold weather safety
Mendoza told the Express that all residents should also have a working carbon monoxide detector in their homes.

“Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your house save lives. It’s better to be safe than sorry,” Mendoza said.

Some fire safety tips Mendoza shared include:

  • Be knowledgeable on how to properly use heating elements. Space heaters should be no closer than three feet away to anything.
  • Propane heaters should be kept outside, and should not be in the house to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Garages that store propane tanks should be well-ventilated.
  • Fireplace chimneys should have regular maintenance and cleaning.
  • Wire mesh fencing should be used in front of fireplaces to help prevent logs and other materials from rolling out.
Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Article
blank

First responders discover body in rural Winters home

Related Posts